Imagine a live online tour of Memphis Black history that your family, school, church or business group would love. Whether this is your first time to Memphis or you are a Memphian, our Essence of Memphis tour is for you. Or you choose to join us for an exclusive experience, a private journey. You have options. Advanced purchase is required.
Approximately 1 Hour
Departs: On your group’s timeline. | From any smart device.
Cost: Starts at $350 ( per live Group presentation)
Onboarding/orientation programs for local businesses; churches, organizations and schools. Presentations are offered via Zoom or in-person.
Groups interested in touring Memphis will find this live presentation with photos and narration—plus a question and answer session at the end—a great way to tour Memphis and its African American history virtually. From middle-school, high-school, and college student groups to church members and business employees, all will have the opportunity to learn more about an incredibly important aspect of the city of Memphis, direct from the number-one tour operator in the city. Even better, participants attend from the safety and comfort of their own school, church, or office.
- A broadband connection
- Your own smart device – phone, computer or tablet
- Slave Haven site that documents the history of the Underground Railroad.
- Historic Mason Temple – where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his famous last speech, “I’ve Been to the Mountaintop” on April 3, 1968, the day before his assassination.
- The National Civil Rights Museum/Lorraine Motel – tracing the civil rights movement from its roots to the present, also the site of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Beale Street – where you’ll hear “the rest of the story” about one of America’s most iconic streets; also known as “the Negro Main Street USA” and officially named the “Home of the Blues” by an act of Congress in 1977.
This ATOP event will take approximately 1 hour and includes time for Q and A. Please fill out the Tour Inquiry form and you will be contacted to answer any questions and confirm specifics.
Approximately 2.5 hours
Departs: Thursdays, 9:30 a.m. | Fridays, 12:45 p.m. | Saturdays, 9:30 a.m. | Sundays, 12:45 p.m.
Cost: $72 (per person; ages 5-99)
Memphis visitors; local families or friends who’d like to know more about African American history in their own community. (Minimum of 3 guests required.)
It’s like hiring a personal tour guide. You’ll get an exclusive experience - a private and memorable tour of key African American cultural sites - customized for you.
Cost: $374 for 2.5 hours and $100 for each additional hour
Days: Tours are offered Daily and are based on availability
Departs: IUTY (It’s Up To You!)